Friday 14 January 2011

James Blake

Highlight: New year, new artist, new venue! Agency assures me this was a no pressure gig to ease me in.
108045559
Lowlight: There was plenty of pressure, at least on my back as the place was packed and there was no photo pit! Plus The Sun and MTV wanted it - no pressure at all...

Fill in: After a year of avoiding agency gigs - finances dictated I go back - and to be honest I had missed it.

So after a year of giving up gigs to spend more evenings doing homework with my son, finances or rather lack of them made me pack the ear plugs in my camera bag and go the Redferns cap in hand. Luckily they were still keen to use me - times are desperate for everyone - and asked me if I wanted to do James Blake at Plan B. Unfortunately I scanned the email excitedly and only read the Plan B bit so I jumped at the chance. Was a bit knocked off kilter when I found out who it was and where it was, but Redferns said it was a good one to do and there was no pressure.

However, as the venue was woefully inadequate for the amount of audience, with no pit and a stage as high as the middle of my shins, just standing upright was a task in itself. And with no light and a request from the PR to shoot as little as possible (it was an acoustic gig) getting even one picture was going to be a major achievement. Now I know why I decided to stay at home and do Maths homework.

108045571108045560108045566


click here for Sun review

click here for MTV review

For editorial enquiries please contact: Redferns Music Photo Library/Getty Images

Tech Spec: Nikon D300 - best in low light - ISO 3200, Aperture F2.8 (to get as much ambient light as possible). WB - Flash (balanced for fill in flash). Small flash on camera forced to on (the small flash is less obtrusive for performers when close up), shutter 1/8 second (I moved the camera to get the trailing lights and extra interest as the performance was very static.

No comments:

Post a Comment