Sunday 15 May 2011

Vaisakhi 2011

Highlight: The male dancers - professional dancing for men is highly under estimated in the Uk as a way of wooing the girls. 20110515vaisakhi_  235
Lowlight: Trying to find time to make it to the coconut stall for fresh coconut milk.
Fill in: The dohl drums always make me dance. Feel more of a prat than normal in the pit as I take photos and the rhythms take over.

The highlight of Vaisakhi for me is the male dancers. Smiling, dressing pinks, yellows and turquoise, everything against the British idea of traditional tough masculinity, but they come over as strong, vital and highly attractive as they whirl round the stage and are a photographer's dream. Capturing their energy on camera is not as easy as it looks but the pursuit is enjoyable!

Working again for the Mayor's office I had to get photos for press, sponsors and marketing as well as recording the event in general. Another highlight is the veggie indian food. I always make sure I find a gap in the schedule to get lunch.

20110515vaisakhi_  023 20110515vaisakhi_  051 20110515vaisakhi_  218

A Dohl Drummer gets the audience dancing; a dancer charms the girls and Juggy D gets down with crowd - literally.

20110515vaisakhi_  215 20110515vaisakhi_  178

Tech Spec: I walk round with two cameras to save changing lenses - one with 24- 70mm F2.8, (this body has a speedlight mounted for fill in flash) and one 70-200mm F2.8. I use a double harness to carry the cameras so the weight is on my shoulders and not my neck. Light conditions constantly changing so I shoot manually as I may need to compensate for bright skies, backlights on stage, dark backgrounds and rainy skies!! I do this all manually as I find it quicker and more accurate. Any I get wrong are adjusted in Photoshop later.

No comments:

Post a Comment