Sunday 6 March 2011

National Poetry Competition

Highlight: This annual event used to be way over my head, but this year I actually understood and appreciated every single poem. Obviously these poets are getting better...
20110324poetrysocietyprize_  010
Lowlight: Great party, great food, great drink AND Jennette Winterson was there, but did I have time to party, eat, drink, talk to Jeanette? Do flies pig?
Fill in: Jenette Winterson is the woman who weaned me off Cinderella and Wizard of Oz (yes i was still reading those books at 15). She showed me that there was life after puberty.

The Poetry Society holds this event annually and the brief is to get a headshot of every staff member, judge, competition finalist, group photos of staff, judges and competition finalists, presentations, speeches and general atmosphere.

The celeb culture has fortunately not quite reached this final bastion of British culture so shooting is fairly stress free for myself and the subjects.

Tech Spec: I usually shoot the headshots on the sweeping staircase as the guests arrive (whilst they are still sober and the winners still anonymous). For the techies amongst you I use the 70mm end of the 28-70 zoom on F2.8 to get the background well out of focus and have a Gary Fong diffuser over the flash. I turn up the ISO to get the warm ambient light and stand slightly above the subjects on the stairs, getting them to lean on the bannister. I only get time for about three or four shots. I shoot them all landscape so they can be used vertical or horizontal.

700_6554
Carole Ann Duffy
20110324poetrysocietyprize_  013
Jeanette Winterson

20110324poetrysocietyprize_  083
From L to R: Deryn Rees-Jones (judge), George Szirtes (judge), Paul Adrian (first prize winner), Sinéad Morrissey (judge)
20110324poetrysocietyprize_  091
Ted Hughes Award winner Kaite O'Reilly with proud husband.

For editorial enquiries please contact The Poetry Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment