Wednesday 9 March 2011

Beady Eye

Highlight: A session with Beady Eye - basically Oasis with out Christmas.
BeadyEye_001

Lowlight: I have 10 minutes to get a cover shot, and pictures for inside for a full feature!
Fill in: Just two days after this shoot, The Tsunami swept over Japan. I felt a bit churlish the week after sending an email with my commiserations followed by a request for a PO number....

Over the years i have done a few sessions for the Japanese Media - they are really into their indie British music so they often used pictures from NME stock. It had been a while though so I was surprised to get a call from a journalist I used to know asking whether I'd be interested in shooting Liam Gallagher's band Beady Eye for a cover story. The main shot had to be against a clean white background.


BeadyEye_002beadyeyefeature

We only had ten minutes for photos to get a full feature but 2 hours to set up. There was no knowing where we would be able to shoot and I had never been to the venue before so I took everything and the kitchen sink - backdrop, location lights, speedlights, reflectors, softboxes, brollies, sunbounces. I fully anticipated having to squeeze in somewhere tiny but we ended up in the foyer with loads of room. After getting everything perfectly set up we had to take it down again as the queue had already formed outside and people were looking in. We found another private corner to shoot but the space was limited.

We finally got it together just as the band arrived. I got a minute against the white backdrop and then a couple with them sat on the bar before Liam was shaking my hand and thanking me.

Tech spec:

White shot - White paper backdrop with band about a foot in front. A rectangular 150cm x 120cm softbox directly behind me, about 6' in height and about 6' from band. A 6' x 4' sunbounce balanced on floor angled 45 degrees up at band to fill in. Camera: F8 at 125sec. Lens: 28mm-85mm F2.8.

Bar shot: Band on bar, I stood about 8' away. Using on camera flash to light band and opened up shutter to fill in the blue ambient light.

No comments:

Post a Comment