Friday 8 April 2011

Esperanza Espalding

Highlight: Chance to broaden my musical horizons by photographing this jazz singer who beat Justin Beiber to a Grammy award
111906619 111906613
Lowlight: Yes. The light was low and the high brow audience not amused by our constant clicking.
Fill in: The songs were very long. Our alloted three songs, no flash lasted over 40 minutes. The seats at the Barbican are very low and we have to keep out of the way so after half on hour of crawling round with a 70-200mm F2.8 swinging from my neck, my knees decided to give Bob Crow a call.

Shooting at the Barbican is always a challenge not least trying to find the best way into the place and then finding the place to pick up your photopasses.

Then you have to find out the various places you are allowed to stand/sit/kneel or in this case - crawl. I was shooting for The Guardian so was praying the light would not be too red as this looks awful in newsprint.

Esperanza's set was extremely quiet so even breathing was extremely exasperating to the highly sensitive and well tuned audience. I tried to time my shots to coincide with the noisier parts of the set and hoped the noise of my rumbling stomach was not as loud as it seemed to me. (I never eat before shoots - a hang over from the days when I was just too nervous before a shoot to keep anything down)

111906633111906620

111906611111906625111906659

click here for Guardian review


For editorial enquiries please contact: Redferns Music Photo Library/Getty Images

No comments:

Post a Comment