Monday 22 August 2011

Gillman and Soame Training

Highlight: Landing a contract with the most exclusive schools photography company in the business

Lowlight: Finding out my photography has become appallingly sloppy.
Fill in: Work was looking slow for September so a quick hunt on the internet showed a need for schools photographers in my area. How hard can it be I thought as I merrily sent off my CV. It was then that I remembered the moans from my kid's' friends' mums (that does make sense even if it is bad English) about untidy hair, cheesy smiles and scruffy school uniform in the 'terrible' school photos and realised that if I even got the work I was going to have to take whole schools of kids of all ages of a quality that would please a doting mother.. .and quickly! I got an interview but had cold feet. Amazingly I got a contract, and was relieved to find out we had two days training and was sent with a trainer to our first few commissions.


Tech Spec: We were shown the set up for the standard white back drop portrait, the reams of paperwork that aided the smooth running of the process (this is factory photography and the long list of pc do's and don'ts. I was disappointed to find out we could not threaten the kids, call them names or swear at them to get the shot (always works for bands…) and dismayed to find we had to get the pic in ten second or less, preferably in one take. But the biggest embarrassment was not knowing how to use my expensive light metre (actually no-one could work it out) and revealing my extremely sloppy habits which had developed over the past 15 years. It was good to get back to basics and churn out a decent pic in record speed.

For enquiries:
www.gillmanandsoame.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment