Monday 31 October 2011

The Chris Allard Band

Highlight: Shooting a gig for the first time ever in The Pizza Hut, London.

20111031chrisallard  127 20111031chrisallard  094

Lowlight:
Pillars in the venue and tables right up the stage severely limiting angles of view.
Fill in: After 16 years in the business there are not many major venues in London I have not been to. I had done a shoot in the Pizza Express in Soho famous for its jazz gigs, but only a publicity shot for Kyle Eastwood - I'd never done an actual performance so it was with some apprehension that I arrived to shoot The Chris Allard band - especially as it was a private commission and I needed to get all the performers plus overall shots of the band. Luckily I had the whole set to get something and was able to wander freely around the venue and Chris and the guys had the usual laid back easy approach to photography that all jazz musicians have.

20111031chrisallard  177 20111031chrisallard  014

20111031chrisallard  125 20111031chrisallard  161

20111031chrisallard  064

Tech Spec: Light was low but atmospheric and by looking at the many images on the walls I could suss out the best angles for the shots. I shot mainly at F2.8 and shot from any angle I could get a clear view - and not so clear view! I used the pizza table and flyer to get a contextual shot. When you have a whole set to shoot then it is good to get some atmospherics as well as the stock shots.

For editorial:
http://www.cocolocomusic.demon.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment