Sunday 28 October 2012

Diwali in the Square 2012


Highlight: Seeing fellow photographer in full Diwali get- up playing the Dohl Drums

Lowlight: Thinking that wearing a sari would be a good idea.








Fill in: It was a cold weekend, but I thought I looked pretty cool in my hiking boots, leggings, Superdry coat and woolly Airwalk hat in a sort of Benetton colours of the World sort of way. Apart from the dancing and singing on stage, I also had to photograph the sponsors stalls and the crowds, and I duly went off into the heaving throng. One of the stalls was a community affair where seasoned indian sari wearers offered their saris and dressing services to the general public. I jumped the huge queue to photograph the dressing up area and found myself being cajoled into wearing a sari myself. Despite my protests that I need to walk, kneel, squat and move freely to take photos in less than five minutes I was trussed up in a bright orange and gold affair, and together with my hiking boots, woolly tasselled hat and my camera bag on wheels I looked more like a mad bag lady than the super cool photographer that I am.

Still I didn't take it off and spent the rest of the day looking like I'd been Tangoed. It was a long, cold day and my spirits were wearing, but perked up considerably at the sight of a fellow Gillmans and Soame photographer in full Diwali dress, complete with Dohl Drum. She looked a lot cooler than me, but I was behind the lens and she was in front of it so it all worked out.

Tech spec: On a dull day on camera flash a must to perk up the colours and light. I used TTL fill in and aperture priority for the crowds and stalls and manual, no flash for the stage shots. Spot metering also necessary on stage as the lights were shining right into the camera. I tried to make sure I got a head in front of the lights if possible to give a great halo effect.


For more info:


No comments:

Post a Comment