Friday 11 November 2011

Remembrance Day 2011

Highlight: Remembering to put aside a poppy specially for the occasion as usually mine is extremely curled up and forlorn by the time I get to this event.
20111111remembranceday  111

Lowlight:
Remembering I had forgotten to turn my phone off just as the two minters silence began. It was the longest two minutes ever praying no-one would ring me.
Fill in: Have covered this event that last few years for the London Assembly, usually on a Friday but today the 11th actually fell on the Friday so it was a more poignant event. Access is extremely limited as I am not allowed on the chamber floor and half the walkways round the edge are blocked by a full orchestra and choir. Boris did not attend but Ken Livingstone did so I got all confused as to when and where I was.


20111111remembranceday  001 20111111remembranceday  012

20111111remembranceday  00820111111remembranceday  062



Tech Spec:Keeping quiet is the name of the game as every shutter click seems to echo through the proceedings. I try to make every shot count. There are only a few vantage points and getting to them involves actually exiting the chamber, going through four sets of glass double doors and re-entering it from another side. As the speakers are on both sides of the chamber one ends up doing this manoeuvre several times much to the chagrin of the people on the doors who open them for you. Dealing with the backlighting and copious amounts of glass that makes up the City Hall chamber and you have your work cut out exposure wise so I alway shoot manual and spot metre off a convenient face if possible. The light is pretty contrasty but I don;t mind if the highlights blow out a bit as I shoot it all on raw.

For further details:
www.london.gov.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment