Monday 12 November 2012

Poetry Workshop with Chrissie Gittins

Highlight: Listening to Chrissie read her poems and understanding the finer points and nuances.






Lowlight: Poems aimed at primary school level - I could just about cope...

Fill-in: Having finished with schools photography a couple of weeks ago it was a bit of a deja-vu to find myself once again in a school full of kids and it was all I could do to prevent myself setting up the white backdrop and a bench and getting out my name cards ready to do school portraits. However, this job was for the Poetry Society and true documentary photography capturing Chrissie Gittins in action as she proceeded to ram some culture into upper junior school kids. The brief was not quite as straight forward as it seemed as I had to try and avoid the kids faces and name tags so the final images could be used more widely.

Tech spec:  I used my quieter camera (D7000) and told Chrissie to brief the kids that if they looked like they were concentrating on the lesson in hand they would be more likely to get their photograph taken. This stops the monkey faces and waving hands that inevitably happen when you point a lens into a group of excited children. I used a lot of narrow depth of field.

No comments:

Post a Comment