Friday 22 March 2013

Tudor Stitching

Highlight: A private lesson in the most advanced, painstaking embroidery of all time







Lowlight: Comparing my clumpy, naive tacking to Claire exquisite, intricate works of art.

Fill-in: The closest I get to a needle these days is when I donate blood, unless you count the rudely sewn badges on Kyle's cub uniform and the occasional bit of felt shaped tacked to a pillowcase for the school fancy dress days. How I wish I'd had Claire's skills when it came to the school's Tudor day. A professional seamstress, currently working at The Globe, she spends hours creating acorns, roses and leaves in authentic, time consuming, eye-watering Tudor style - for FUN. My mission was to show her  work to illustrate an audio of her talking about the art of embroidery Tudor style.

Tech spec: I proudly used my Nikon macro 60mm in anger for the first time. When shooting Macro, depth of field becomes almost nothing, but I used this effect to really isolate the stitch that Claire was working on. I used an LED video light to illuminate using the ambient light to fill so the whole effect was soft but bright, bringing out the colours of the threads and the texture of the embroidery.

No comments:

Post a Comment