Friday 27 April 2012

John Oates

Highlight: Got to see the man himself backstage.

     
 
Lowlight: Getting the wrong venue then photographing the wrong guy backstage!!!!

Fill in: So I had done my research. I'd checked out Mr Oates on the internet, and was all set to go. It was only when rechecking the times for the gig that I saw what I have taken to be Islington Academy was actually Islington Assembly Rooms. Actually this was a relief as the Academy has appalling lighting for gigs and the Assembly rooms were pretty good. On top of that, we were taken upstairs to the guest area where John Oates was mixing it up. In my continuing confusion (having only just got over that fact that I nearly went to completely the wrong venue) and complete surprise at having such access without even asking, I went up to completely the wrong guy (even though I had checked out Mr Oates on the internet) and asked for his photo. I have to say the guy took it very well. He let me photograph him, but I still have no idea who he was.
Tech spec: Get the right guy! Mr Oates was actually very accommodating, posing aimiably for shots. He was completely cool on stage too - a real old school musician, totally un-celebrity cultured even though he is a legend. The backstage shots were taken without flash, 3200, standard 50m lens on F2.


For More info: www.redferns.com

No comments:

Post a Comment