Friday 25 May 2012

Gaz Coombes


Highlight: Arriving early enough to get to front without pushing aside loads of ardent fans.



Lowlight: Not on the list! The shame. Had to use charm and wit to get in, so it was no easy task.

Fill in: Gig photography not top of my list at moment, but made an exception for Gaz Coombes. The first time I photograph him I was on tour with the Bluetones doing a rockumentary for a college project. The Bluetones had had their first photo in NME courtesy of yours truly and it was my first job for NME ever. I had been a bold lass in those days and promptly asked the Buetones if I could tour with them. They, not knowing any better agreed and they just happened to be supporting Supergrass. All of them were good lads so it was pretty uneventful but got a good college project out of it.  

Tech spec:. Not on the list! What to do; what to do? Always take the confirmation email with you. (I had that). And the name of the person who has put you on the list. ( I had that). And their number. (Did not have that). Never insist on admission - the door people and security have a job to do and if you are not on the list it is not their fault. Usually you will have to wait for the person who put you on the list to turn up but if it is a small gig, chances are they are not coming so ask to see the promoter or band manager. These people are usually to busy so will not come out just to sort out an annoying photographer, but it shows the door people you are serious. Then ask if anon from the organisation who put you on the list is coming. You will probably have to wait for them and chances are they will be late or not show up at all. Again it shows you are serious. I did all of the above with no success but I looked so pathetic the girl on the door went to find the promoter herself and got me the access. Hurrah. And there was still space at the front.

Related links:

No comments:

Post a Comment