Tuesday 3 July 2012

APPJAG Summer Jazz with Yolanda Brown

Highlight: Being the first person to recognise Bob Marley in a saxophone medley jam in a room full of jazz connoisseurs.


Lowlight: After five years of doing this event I still am a Jazz philistine.



PIX TO COME

Fill in: This annual Summer event is one of the highlights in the Jazz calendar at the House of Commons, where the hottest new talent in Jazz showcase their work for the people who run the country. This year Yoland Brown was the star turn and having met the lovely Yolanda Brown at a previous job I was looking forward to seeing her play. Had a great chat with her about my Jazz insecurities and whilst most Jazz musicians are easy going, she was the easiest to confess my musical ignorances to and when it came to the performance  she asked the audience to clap when they recognised the tune in a Jazz medley. "No hope' thought I, but was surprised when half way through and no-one had yet clapped,  I recognised Bob Marley in the smooth tones of Yolanda's sax and gave a humungous cheer and cap expecting everyone else to do the same. I was the only one, and sheepishly stopped but Yolanda gave me a cheeky wink. She has my full respect - espcially as she did the whole eveining is the highest, strappiest sandels ever.

Tech spec: Used the 85mm F1.4 to get a shallow depth of field for a moody effect perfect for the cool Jazz musicians.

For more info:

Jazzwise  magazine

Yamaha


Jazz Services




No comments:

Post a Comment